Ever seen the coupons that print out of machines after you make a purchase? These are what will turn you into a cuckoo coupon lady – at most places these are called Catalinas, but at Walgreen’s they are Register Rewards.
At Walgreens, you can get a “Catalina” coupon called Register Reward. A Register Reward is a coupon that prints after you make a qualifying purchase. It is typically good for “X” amount off of your next transaction. Pictured below is what the ad will look like in the Walgreen’s Circular. When you buy the advertised item, after paying, you will receive a coupon (Register Reward) to use on your next purchase.
1. You can only get one Register Reward per promotion in a single purchase. You can buy 2 of the same item, but they would have to be rung up separately. You can get multiple Register Rewards in one purchase when you buy products from different promotions.
2. You cannot use the exact Register Reward on the same promotion in a following transaction. Ie.. if you buy Olay and get a RR (Register Reward) you cannot use that RR to buy another Olay. If you do so, you will not receive a second RR. You either have to pay for the soap and accumulate the catalinas for a different purchase, or you’ll need to use the catalinas from a different promotion to pay for the second Olay.
3. FILLER ITEMS: You have to have as many items purchased as coupons (RR is considered a coupon)! If you bought one Olay and tried to use a coupon and a RR to pay, it would not be accepted. You would need to buy one more item – called a “filler item” so you have 2 products and 2 coupons. The extra item you buy doesn’t have to match up with any coupons!
I receive this question a lot: if a RR is going to print at Walgreens, do you need a filler item for your coupon ratio? The answer is no, the RR that is supposed to print has no bearing on your coupon ration. This means if you are purchasing 2 products with 2 coupons, you can still expect RR’s to print (no filler items required!) However, if you want to pay for the 2 products with 2 coupons and an RR, then get a filler item.
4. Register Rewards and coupons can not be applied towards sales tax. You will always have to pay the full tax amount for every purchase even if the products were free.
5. Walgreens coupons from their weekly ad and/or coupon booklets (learn more about those here) available throughout the store, from the pharmacy, or even from a $0.99 Children’s activity booklet do NOT count towards your coupon to item ratio. (In other words, the register will not beep if you are using more Walgreen’s coupons than items. Remember though, that Register Rewards and other manufacturer’s coupons can only be used once per each item purchased).
6. Walgreen’s offers a 15% discount to military personnel/dependents on Tuesdays: The days might be different depending on locations in Yorktown Va it’s every Tuesday – so ask you local Wags!
Register Rewards can save you a lot of money but are somewhat complicated. Make sure you understand how they work before you get started!
Walgreen’s Coupon Policy: I recommend that you print a copy of Walgreen’s coupon policy and bring it with you while you shop. If any issues should arise, this coupon policy should definitely help clear things up!
- Walgreen’s will take all manufacturer coupons, and you can stack it with a Walgreens in-store coupon, but you must hand them the Walgreen’s in-store coupon FIRST!
- will take printable Internet coupons
- you must have as many products as coupons. If you are stacking an in-store coupon with a MFR coupon, make sure to have “filler” items. These items don’t have to match up with any coupons, they just make it so that you don’t have more coupons than products purchased.
- BOGO: When items are featured in a Buy One, Get One Free promotion, up to two coupons can be used against the items being purchased, as long as the net price does not go below zero for the items being purchased. That means if you have a BOGO Free Chips sale, and chips are $2, and you have 2 $1/1 Chips coupons, you can use them both with the BOGO Free sale to score free chips!
- do not match competitors ads or prices
- do not take other stores in-store coupons
- do not take other stores catalinas
- Rain Checks: Walgreens does issues rain checks! Rain checks are good for in-store purchases only and valid for 30 days. You won’t get the RR, so if it’s just for a sale item with no RR, get the raincheck, but if you’re looking for the deal with a RR, you won’t get it.
Walgreen’s Coupon Policy on their site.
Important reader update:
1. Register Rewards are now to be scanned first, then MFG coupons, and WAG coupons/in-store coupons last. This way it is easier for the register to accept the MFG coupons because it will take off according to the amount left on the item for the WAG coupons and therefore the coupons won’t have to be modified.
2. Coupons can no longer be modified for a lower price. Ex: An item is on sale for 3.99 and you have a $4 off coupon. In order to use it, you must buy two items: One will be free and the other will cost 3.98. Because the coupon applied to both items, a second coupon cannot be used for the additional item.